We went to St. Andrew's today. Unfortunatly, I don't have any pictures because we got there and I went to take a picture of this beautiful street and realized that my camera had died. Just google it. There was a huge ruin of a cathedral and tons of old buildings but it really wasn't the coolest thing I did today.
After we got back, my roommate and I went out for a walk. I had heard there was this old graveyard close to the school and I wanted to take some pictures of it for my photography class. (I'll have to go back tomorrow because my camera wasn't done charging when we left. It's ok though because it's about a 10 minute walk from here.) We got to the graveyard and looked through the gate and realized that there was a bunch of people gathered there singing hymns. We jumped back from the gate because it looked like a funeral was being held. We were going to leave but I wanted to check out the other part of the wall and see if I could see in without anyone in side seeing me. I went around to the other side where I saw a sign that said "Re-dedication ceremony Thursday 16th June 8:00pm." It turns out that this graveyard and the ruins of the church inside had been closed for four years and we just happened to show up when they were reopening it.
We went in and wandered around for a bit until the ceremony was over. Afterwards, a few very friendly Scottish people told us about the graves and gave us a brochure. One of the gravestones was for a cobbler's wife. One of the men there told us about all of the symbols of the grave stone and what they meant as well as the cobblers name. This grave stone was probably from the middle-ages.
The graveyard was very cool but it wasn't the creepiest thing I saw tonight. After walking to the graveyard, we walked up the hill. One the hillside there is this giant kiln. It's got three big chambers in it the size of small rooms. The creepy thing about it that I can't figure out why you would put a kiln like that so high up a hill and so far away from everything else. If anyone can explain this to me, please do.
After that we continued our walk up the hillside and to the sheep pastures at the top where you have a great view of the landscape. We didn't get back until around 11 when it finally got dark. I definitely plan on exploring the woods some more
No comments:
Post a Comment